Today, if a man kills a man, the world over it is considered an offence and is punishable under Court of Law. Hut the legislation does not extend and say that if a man kills an animal, it is an offence. In some countries, there are a few laws which prohibit killing of rare species and wild life.
It is evident that man, due to his cleverness, shrewdness, and superior abilitics, has continued to kill slaughter ruthlessly animals for his benefit and selfish reasons. Man forgets that the animal too has a soul and wants to live. The philosophers, ancient scriptures, saints and scholars have often said that there is basically no difference in the soul of man animals, birds etc. Just as gold can manifest in the form of bangles, earrings or ring, the soul can manifest in the form of human species or animal species or birds etc. Further all great learned men have advised to practice Ahimsa and refrain from inflicting cruelty, pain and death to other lives.
Killing of animals is not only inhuman and cruel but is totally against the overall interest of human kingdom. Animals are beneficial-useful to mankind in more than one way. They help in maintaining ecological balance. They help in preventing pollution, they provide milk, butter and hides (after death). They help in agriculture, their dung is useful as fertilizer. They are dumb, innocent and helpless. How can one think of killing them ?
Killing any life is considered to be the greatest sin and anyone indulging in killing has to face dire consequences in future. If this is accepted how can one dream of allowing animals to be killed by human beings?
But alas ! man is short-sighted. He does not see beyond his life time. He forgets the dire consequences of future while trying to obtain immediate gains. Many times, man has to be told and forced to do things in a particular manner, so that humanity at large can benefit.
It is under this background that we at the Akhil Bharatiya Hinsa Nivaran Sangh believe that one day many nations will wake up and humanity will witness that just like man, killing an animal is considered an offence and punishable under law,
Animal once born, has a right to live. Hainan beings mun respect his right of living In future the Government of different countries should recognize the animal right and enact suitable legislations to protect this,
Difficult it may seem, it is not altogether impossible. In 1960, when John F. Kennedy proclaimed that “man should try to land over Moon” people laughed. thought it to be a dream, a fantasy or one of those fairy tales in Childrens books. But in 1969 the entire world saw that it is a reality Similarly, may be in next 20,50 100 years, if future generations are more kind-hearted, more wise and possess more compassion in their hearts for animals, there may be a day when this dream of respecting and recognizing the basic right of animals to live may become a reality.
To reach this goal, beginning has to be done today. With this view in mind, it is suggested that a PARLIAMENT of Animals may be formed, The objectives of which would be
(1) To recognize and protect the right of animals to live;
(2) To prevent slaughter of animals everywhere;
(3) To preach, propagate, publicise the basic message of Ahimsa;
(4) To awaken and enlighten humans to accept animals as part of the nature and to enact legislation to protect them:
(5) To convince the Govt. to pass law and legislation, so that killing of animals is punished under a Court of Law; and
(6) To popularise this objective all over the world and help other nations in moving towards this goal.
AKHIL BHARTIYA HINSA NIVARAN SANGH proposes to nominate 100 members of Animal Parliament to begin with and add 100 members every year till the figure of 1000 is reached. Parliament will have the Cabinet, Prime Minister, Ministers, Secretaries as well as large number of Animal friends, i. e. party workers.
The Cabinet will meet 6 times a year and offer concrete programme and plan of action towards the over-all constitutional objectives. The Cabinet through various ministers will evolve and develop strategies as well as policies for awake- ning the masses and people at large. The Cabinet will also present Memorandum to State Governments, Central Governments, Municipalities, U. N. and pursuade the leaders of the country to accept these laudable objectives. The parliament will also embark upon Research work in this field, so that light can be thrown on various problems that may creep up in reaching the goal of recognizing the right of animals to live. Parliament members will also work in different corners for raising funds to carry out this campaign. Every school, college, University, village and town will have to be approached by Animal Lovers and friends to spread the message in a way that penetrates their hearts. Saints, Sages and religious leaders can be invited as Rajaya Sabha Members (Elders) in the proposed parliament, so that they may also contribute in bringing abour total revolution.
The Parliament through its activities should then aim at programmes of:
1. Preventing establishment of new and additional slaughter houses in the country;
2. Removing illegal killing and slaughter in village and cities all over the country.
3. Pursuading States and Central Governments not to encourage killing of animals for export development of fisheries as industry, growth of poultry farms for eggs and slaughter of chickens.
4. Promoting establishment of pure vegetarian restaurants and hotels in every village, town and city.
5. Vigorous publicity campaign through T.V. and Radio high-lighting the advantages of vegetarianism and the adverse consequences of killing animals.
6. Establishing branches of Hinsa Nivaran Sangh in every corner of the country, so that local volunteers and local leaders carry on this campaign at all times.
7. Publishing literature, through books, journals and newspapers why animals should not be killed and why people should have compassion, mercy, kindness and love towards all creatures, especially animals and birds.
8. Making people realise that innocent animals, who have not harmed you, who have not done anything wrong to you, who have always cbliged you by obeying and giving several things, who are faithful to you, who have not cheated or betrayed you, should not be killed by a man. In short, to high-light the invaluable contribution of animals to man. 9. Making the world realise that by and large, man is cunning, ferocious and selfish; otherwise he would not amass so much of ammunition, weapons and nuclear atoms which can create nothing but disaster.
In short, the Parliament can continue doing many activities, programmes, seminars, exhibitions, etc. till it brings through legislators, a law that killing of animals is a crime and will be punishable under law.