Wine ensnares the mind of a man .i.e. wine deludes a man and make him insane. He, whose mind is ensnared forgets his duty -his good conduct; and he who forgets his duty his good conduct commits unrestricted violence and further adopts the course of conduct based on violence.
One fine morning, the “Van mali” -the forest guard of Girnar was wonder struck to see the whole forest turning full of greenry and the trees bearing fruits of all seasons simultaneously. He tried to find out the cause of this miracle and came to know that it had so happened because of the arrival of the “Samava Sarana” of Bhagwan Neminath Mount of Girnar where “Samava sarana’’ arrived ; he paid his obeisance to Lord Neminath ; he duly rewarded the “Van mali” for bringing this happy news and ordered for public announcement about the arrival(Purushartha Siddhyopaya)on mount Girnar.
The forest guard was naturally very glad to know this. He soon ran to Dwaraka and conveyed the happy news to Maharaja Shri Krishna who was very much pleased to hear it. Immediately the maharaja got down from the throne and walked seven steps ahead in the direction of the holy of Samava sarana. The announcement also invited the people to accompany him to Girnar to have “Darshan” of Lord Neminath.
Soon after Shri Krishna and his illustrous brother Baldev reached the ‘‘Samava Saran Sabha” which was in all grandeures; they entered the Samavasaran with all humility and devotion, leaving all the pomp and show outside.
They worshipped Bhagwan Neminath with great devotion and then listened to His sermon. After the sermon was over, Baldav with folded hands submitted a number of querries to the Lord and got enlightened . One of the questions was relating to Dwaraka, the capital town. The question was; “O Lord, how long shall Dwaraka exist and how and when shall it end?”
“O King! If there is any thing in this world which can cause total annihilation of the world it is wine/liquor. The city of Dwarika shall be destroyed due to wine.”
Baldev prayed and submitted, “How Swamin? In what manner?’’ The Lord replied: “After twelve years, due to intoxication of wine the Yadavas shall cause great harrassment to the Muni “Dwipayan” meditating on the outskirt of Dwarika. This will infuriate the saint, who will burn Dwarika with his electric body ‘thaijas sarir’ . None excepting you two (Baldev and Krishna) shall survive.”
The King Shri Krishna was very much worried to hear this prophecy. After returning to Dwarika, he proclaimed that all the liquor stored in Dwarika to be poured down on the mountain situated on the periphery of Dwarika.
A strict Royal decree was made in the town to the effect that any body, whoever he be, if found drinking liquor or possessing it would be punished with death sentence. This had effectively prevented wine drinking in Dwaraka.
Time continued to pass; one day some yadava boys went to the mountain situated near by Dwarika and played there. Soon after they felt thirsty but there was no water to quench their thirst. They searched for water deseperately but could not get even a drop of it. This made them unberably more thirsty.
In course of repeated search for water, they came across a “Kund” (Pond) which contained some foul smelling water. That water was not at all fit for drinking. In spite of that those boys ignorant of what it was, drank it, hurriedly. That so called water made them insane because the liquid substance which they drank was nothing but the liquor which was poured down on the mountain by order of Shri Krishna in the past: that had colected there in that pond.
Those people, who drank the spoiled liquor of the pond, were in an uncontrollable state of body and mind ; while returning back they saw Muni Sri Dwipayan standing in deep meditation. The boys started making fun of him.
Some of them abused and badly insulted him; others threw stones and sand on him and still others indulged in similar other objectionable activities. In the beginning the Muni went on mediating equanimously; he was quite unconcerned with the actions of those children disturbing and causing annoyance . But the situation took a different turn when the roguish boys passed urine and stool over the Muni. This proved unbearable. The Munit becam infuriated.
Soon an inauspicious electric-body (the ‘thaijas sarif). red coloured.shot out of the left shoulder of Muni Dwipayan. went up in the sky high above swiftly and burnt Dwaraka; after that the electric body came back to Dwipayan and burnt him as well. This is how the city of Dwarika met its fateful end.
Oh! Bhavyas! look here! how wine dminking, even ignorantly caused such destruction of all Yadhavas; destruction of that beautiful Dwaraka; of that great Muni Dweepayana !! what a pity! !think just how much harm it causes to those, . Remember that wine not only destroys physique and intellect but also it destroys family members, kith and kin, home, whole village, town and what not? It does not improve the health; on the contrary, it invites incurable diseases such as cancer.
Oh! Friends! never take any intoxicating material such as wine etc., either knowingly or un-knowingly; nor remain in the company of those who take such things. Then and then alone sha! I you be saved from calamities; to be prosperous and to be happy co not think of intoxicating materials even in your dream!!.
1. The evil habit of drinking wine or any intoxicating material causes living beings to lose their knowledge and consciousness.
2. Wine drinking is a great crime against morality.
3. Wine makes a man detestable. All living beings hate persons addicted to wine.
4. Wine destroys the character and the reputation of a man within no time.
5. Wine annihilates the social status and prestige of great prestigious persons within no time.
6. The effects of wine drinking are frightening and horrifying.
7. Wine ruins the physical strength of a man.
8. Wine makes a man to ignore his well being.
9. Wine facilitates a man in commiting great injustices.
10. Wine drinking adversely affects the memory power
11. A drunkard becomes insane due to the bad effects of intoxication and forgets his duties. He looses all sense of discretion.
12. A man destroys and end his life as well as that of others due to the intoxication of wine.
13. Wine drinking causes economic loss.
14. Wine has been the main factor in ruining great prosperous families.
15. Wine makes a man to fall in the pit of poverty.
16. Wine deforms a man and makes him ugly.
17. Wine disturbs the gait and movements of its consumers.
18. Wind destroys the sweet voice of a man.
19. The mental agonies follow the drinkers like their shadows
20. Wine drinking brings miseries such as condemnation, detestation and cruel punishments in this life; and those of sub-human life in future births.
Drinking is a very bad and dangerous habit – Abandon it.
Those who sleep resemble the dead for that period of time, but drunkenones are as good as dead always, having consumed poison.
– Achcirya Kunthakuntha – Thirukkural 926