A famous jeweller and philanthrophist Rai Badridas belonged to the reputed Srimal jewellers of Lucknow. Conscious of the shaking rule of Nawab of Lucknow and the increasing influence of the English there he settled with his family at Calcutta around 1853. For his business intelligence, enterprise and honesty he rose to the position of a leading jeweller there within few years time. In 1871, Viceroy Lord Mayo appointed him his Mukim and honoured with the title of Rai Bahadur. He frequently visited the Jain saints staying in Dadabari of Calcutta. Inspired by his mother, religious minded Rai Badridas had purchased the whole area including the big pond where fishing by the people was a common practice. He got the pond filled up and constructed there the grand and artistic famous Garden Jain Temple which is centre of attraction of a large number of foreign and Indian tourists. On completion of the temple in 1867, under the instructions of Jain saint Kalyan Suriji he decided to instal there the image of Bhagwan Shitalnath. In search of a suitable Jain image he travelled extensively in the country. Under a miraculous intuition, an old image was dug out from a Jain temple, burried under ground near Agra. Greatly joyous, he brought the image to Calcutta with much respect and got it installed in that famous temple. With the inspirations and cooperation of Seth Maneck Chand J.P. of Bombay he got closed a pig slaughter house which was opened at Shri Sammedshikharji.